Saturday, June 30, 2007

Some good news for girls

Egypt has finally moved to completely ban female circumcision – a truly abominable practice that unfortunately remains far too widespread in Saharan Africa, and is present in certain parts of the Arab world as well.

Better late than never, truly.

It’s worth spending a few minutes to check out this article on women debating the practice in Mali.

Or, take heart in the categorical rejection of female circumcision by this scholar from Egypt’s Al-Azhar University. (That is, the first one – not the one who reminds us of the “curse of the clit woman”!)

Better yet, check out this clip of a debate, between two Egyptian scholars, on a Kuwaiti talk show in 2006.

Here are some highlights:

Dr. Muhammad Wahdan: A girl phoned me once - A woman called me - there is no shame in asking questions about religion... A girl called me and said: When I take the Metro, wearing tight jeans... The Metro in Egypt jolts about like this... She said: I get really aroused. What should I do?

...I asked a doctor, I'm telling you what happened... I asked a doctor, who told me this girl's clitoris was very high, and that a small part of it must be cut off.

We must take all girls to a Muslim doctor who specializes in this, who will determine whether she needs a khifadh circumcision or not. If a girl needs a khifadh, we should perform it, and if a girl does not need it, we should not.

Am I supposed to deny one of the rites of Islam and the laws of Allah?

Interviewer: Is the girl asked whether she wants to be circumcised or not?

Dr. Muhammad Wahdan: No. We ask the doctor, who makes the decision.

Interviewer: So what about the girl's opinion?

Dr. Muhammad Wahdan: What do you mean?

Interviewer: What if she says: I don't want to be circumcised. What happens then?

Dr. Muhammad Wahdan: If a girl says she doesn't want it, she's free. No problem.

Interviewer: Is this what happens in reality?

Dr. Muhammad Wahdan: I have no relation to reality. I am talking about how things should be.

Interviewer: You are a religious sheik, from Al-Azahar University. You cannot say you have no relation to reality.

Dr. Muhammad Wahdan: Reality is a mistake, we must rectify it.

…Well, on that point, we agree. Reality is a mistake, we must rectify it. Hopefully, this latest move by the Egyptian government will rectify the prevailing reality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.